Established in 1943 at the request of the U.S Airforce for use as an operational base during World War II. Up until 1963 Mangere Aerodrome was used for General Aviation in the Auckland area. This changed when the Auckland Aero Club was forced to move from Mangere to Ardmore to make way for the development of the Auckland International Airport.
It was from this time on that Ardmore Airport has blossomed as a General Aviation and Flight Training Facility running more than 200,000 flight movements annually.
Ardmore has one sealed runway (Runway 03/21 1411m x 45m); and two grass runways (Runway 07/25 597m x 18m and Runway 03/21 518m x 18m).
There is a parallel taxiway to the south of the main sealed runway and two parallel taxiways connecting the northern side of the airfield with the main runway. Adjacent to these is an apron by the Tower where there is also an enclosure for sustained aircraft engine testing.
Runway lighting is provided on the main sealed runway 03/21 for night operations and is Pilot Activated. The lighting also includes PAPI at both ends. More detailed information concerning the operational facilities is available in the Operations Manual.
Within the airport boundary there are 28 hangars, 31 offices/flying schools/charter services and 24 general buildings. At present the airport does not have a central airport terminal, and customers use the facilities offered by the individual service operators.