The Auckland Aero Club was founded in 1928 at what is now the Auckland International Airport. After selling the airport, the Auckland Aero Club moved to its present location at Ardmore Airport.
The history of the club is something that no other
training organisation can ever emulate, complete with an unsurpassable training record that spans over 80 years. Many pilots who have participated in the New Zealand
aviation industry and the New Zealand Airforce were trained at the Auckland Aero Club. Past students, staff
or members have included Sir Keith Park, Sir Kenneth Hayr and Jean Batten.
The Auckland Aero Club has trained more airline pilots flying in New Zealand and overseas than any other training organisation in New Zealand.
The Auckland Aero Club is a member of the RNZAC (Royal New Zealand Aero Clubs). They provide services to the aero club and are the governing body for the National Competitions, which the club has a huge history in, with members going on to represent their country in the Trans Tasman Competition.
The Auckland Aero Club and Waitemata Aero club combined in September 1999, and moved into the current location. This was done as both clubs had a similar vision and competing for the same market was not productive.
Have a look at the History section in our bi-monthly Wingover magazine in the News tab for more information.